Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Art Class

As an artist I try as much as possible to give some volunteer time at a local elementary school. I go in and teach a one hour art class and I love it. I'll keep my soapbox packed away so I will just say that art is highly underrated in public schools and it saddens me. In order to be more “whole-brained”, schools need to give equal weight to the arts, creativity, and the skills of imagination and synthesis. 

Part of my New Year’s “tweaking” this year is to simplify and trim down my collection of art supplies. I can never pass up a new (greatly discounted) art gadget, paint color, brush… well it can go on and on. I’m not a minimalist when it comes to art stuff. Everything has a use and I love to try something new. An art store can hold my attention for hours, literally. Fortunately I have artistic friends who also love to get a great deal on slightly used loved art supplies.

Most importantly today - God Bless and help the people of Haiti.

Gratitude for Wednesday: The warm sunshine that came out today.

1 comment:

Susan Roux said...

I agree. Schools underestimate the importance of art. Wouldn't it be a different and better place if children's eyes were opened to all the benefits of art? However it would require the grown-ups to realize it first, but who will teach them?