Friday, December 17, 2010

Karma vs. Career

A fellow artist and I were having one of those wonderful artful conversations recently when he told me how hard it was to actually sell art to a friend. As a matter of fact, he found it so difficult that he had been gifting his art to friends if he found out a friend admired a certain piece. We create because we feel passionately about it and it's only natural to want pass on that good karma.  And so this is where we come to an impasse...is something lost when art is sold and not given away? And if selling it diminishes the true, heartfelt value, then how does the artist merge the good karma of creating something beautiful with the reality of business? I don't have the perfect answer, but it led me to think about how I have felt when I purchase art from another artist and hmmmm... you know, I feel very good as though I have purchased a treasure. So maybe that's it, gift your art when you feel like it and when you sell it, enjoy the sale as you're earning a living and you're giving the buyer that  feeling of having bought a treasure.

4 comments:

Susan Roux said...

I don't think giving versus selling changes anything about the art. The heartfelt emotion that went into creating the work remains the same. I think the difference comes from it being difficult taking money from friends. Years of development goes into producing a good work, yet so many times we break it down to the time spent painting a particular piece. We easily put aside all the years of trials that brought us to the point we're at. And when it comes to friends, we think, "aw, it didn't cost me much..." People who put out big bucks for your work certainly feel a connection to it. They feel the passion. I don't think it diminishes that a bit. A treasure is a treasure anyway you look at it.

Kathryn Ramos said...

Very nicely said Susan :) Thank you for commenting, love to hear opinions.

Kimberly Vanlandingham said...

I feel the same way about it being a "treasure" when I purchase art. I need to remind myself of that sometimes. Though, I can tend to do the same thing with friends and art.

Kathryn Ramos said...

Thank you for commenting Kimberly :) I love to hear the opinions of other artists and it is always nice to know that others share similar experiences.