Friday, July 8, 2011

Thoughts on Plein Air Paintings...

What is it about plein air paintings that are so enchanting? Why are they so intriguing? I spend a fair amount of the early mornings going to other art blogs. It's my routine to keep up on some of my favorite artists and more often than not, I find myself completely absorbed with the whatever plein air piece has just been posted. Maybe it's just a miracle to me that a moment in time was captured by the hand of the artist. That moment was never before and will never be again. Even more intriguing is to feel the essence of the artist in that piece. I guess that is why two artists sitting on the same bluff, overlooking the same landscape will paint a very different interpretation of the valley below.

Quote of the Day:  I hope with all my heart there will be painting in heaven.   ~ Jean-Baptiste Corot


2 comments:

Sanctuary of Davidson said...

I'm glad you posted this about plein air. I never thought of it that way. I always figured, 'what's the big deal...painting outside'. But you've given me a better understanding! It truly is a moment in time captured. Oh, me and my tiny brain!

Kathryn Ramos said...

Thank you for your comment. My thoughts on plein air painting are sort of an out-cropping of my need for precise detail in paintings. I'm trying to loosen up and use the "painter's eye" to just let it flow, paint for and at the moment. Happy Painting to You :)