Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Music and Good-bye Robert Genn

                For so many years I have looked forward to the thoughtful writings by Robert Genn. For those who don't know of Genn, he was a supremely talented artist who sent out a twice-weekly newsletter for  many years. I saved every newsletter in my "inspiration file" and this computer file became like an old dog-eared book that I would go back to often and re-read even though occasionally I didn't agree with an artistic opinion he expressed. But he always gave his readers food for thought and I loved that. Unfortunately he passed away on May 27th.  His daughter Sara will continue his newsletters. Thank you Sara. I'm not ready to let go yet and your taking over will be a nice transition. If you would like to sign on to receive these wonderful newsletters I am including the link:   Robert and Sara Genn    Sara will be resending some of her father's "best of" newsletters as well.
                Studio time is always on the top of my list for favorite moments. I've been working since sun-up today -  break time!   Unless I'm painting outdoors, I always have music on (thank you Spotify). One summer I spent three months working on Van Gogh reproductions, just to try and connect with his technique.  Every day I listened to Verdi, Chopin, Mendelssohn, operas La Traviata, and La Boheme. I don't know if Van Gogh enjoyed music but it helped me get into a different mindset.   
                There have been many articles on what music artists listen to while painting. Everything from country to classical to screamo and yes, I think the style of painting does seem to match the musical tastes. Although if you are a screamo fan and paint traditional American folk art, I would LOVE to hear from you. I'm a lyrics girl. James Taylor is tops this morning interspersed with Sara Bareilles' Brave , Train, John Mayer, and  Rufus Wainwright's Hallelujah. 
Back to work, Keep Calm and Paint On.

Quote of the Day:  "When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or saying that we are not yet ready."  ~  Paul Coelho
                 
Song of the Day:   "Say" ~ John Mayer





No comments: