Monday, August 25, 2014

Do-overs

With school in session again, I'm using any spare time I have to clear out the "mistakes" in my studio and begin preparation for one of my favorite events of the year, Via Arte October 10-12th.

On the subject of mistakes....one of the reasons I love art and artists as much as I do is that art can always be in the category of do-overs. No matter the finished product, it is always okay to refine, add, start over, change perspective, trash it, call it a masterpiece,...whatever. No consequences to that. As the creator, the artist, it is all up to you.

In life, those damn do-overs are not quite as simple. No, they are downright complicated. As an artist most of what you do is very solitary. Your actions rarely have any repercussions other than serving to frustrate you and maybe, with luck, you end up with an accidental masterpiece. But humans with their fallible nature, well.... do-overs seem not to ever go right. As a matter of fact, we generally muck it up just trying to turn our mistakes around. With art, it's just me and that canvas and it doesn't judge me or my mistakes. It just waits patiently while I correct the obvious errors. In real life, no one lovingly waits for you to correct your mistakes. As a matter of fact, life is just a bit more harsh with our human frailties.

No particular reason for posting this piece of art other than I love Salvador Dali. Title is Cadaques.





Quote of the Day: "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best"  ~  Marilyn Monroe


No comments: