Saturday, October 4, 2014

Painting Class

Saturday. Today is a painting day.

Being a teacher as well as an artist means that during the school year I find extra time to paint almost impossible. For quite a few years I have taught an after school acrylic painting enrichment class. When I started it years ago I thought, well this is great, it filled up within 12 hours of sending home the notice. Now I  offer at least 3 classes a year with a waiting list and teaching this class is my favorite time of the day. I learn as much from them as they do from me.
Here is what I have learned from my art students:

  •  Their passion for learning something new inspires me.
  •  Their lack of adult imposed boundaries frees them to go with their gut, I give them the "how to" and they run with it to create their own masterpieces.
  • Kids need art. It allows them expression. It heals. 
  • Most importantly, when the parents of my students come to me and tell me things like..."my son says you get him, you understand his uniqueness" or "she is not a great student but painting has given her confidence".... That is the payoff for me.  :)

Time to get back to my canvas and paint but before I do, I'm posting a rough sketch of this years Via Arte piece. Seriously rough, but I know it will be stunning when done on pavement in art chalk. If you are in the Bakersfield, California area next weekend, October 10th -12th, this event is worth  your time. All of the artists do some spectacular work.




Mosaic flower

Quote of the Day: "The truth is you don't know what is going to happen tomorrow. Life is a crazy ride, and nothing is guaranteed ."  ~ Eminem

Song of the Day:  "With or Without You" ~ U2

No comments: