Sunday, April 17, 2016

FoLk aRt

When people ask me what type of artist am I, I usually get the same reaction each time when I say I'm a modern day folk artist. A few will know what that label  might mean but mostly I need to explain....a lot. I love folk art. There are a few different definitions, funny but there is not a firm definition. And that is point one of what I love about folk art.
                 
                Art originating among the common people of a nation or region usually
                reflecting their traditional culture......by unschooled artists.

I have never been so great at loving to follow the rules. I will, But I don't like it. At all. Folk art is freedom from rules. I can and do traditional art pieces but always go back to my roots.

On the subject of folk art, almost finished with two paintings. I will need to live with them for a week or so to decide if I am done or not.

 I have been somewhat consumed by mandalas lately. Funny how one thing leads to another as we step and side step our way through this life.  On a recent trip to Santa Barbara, I was exploring some shops when I entered a spiritually warm almost ethereal little shop. The walls were lined with mandalas. I was completely in awe as I saw folk art at its most raw, most intricate.  By coincidence the rock hound in me had been collecting rocks from surrounding beaches so......it seemed the perfect matching....round flat rocks and mandala paintings. Another form of folk art.






Quote of the Day: "Every new idea is just a mashup or a remix of one or more previous ideas."
~ Austin Kleon, Steal Like an Artist

Song of the Day: "I Lived" ~ One Republic



No comments: