Sunday, September 11, 2016

A Chance Meeting With a Couple Degrees of Seperation

The dishwasher repairman was in my home last weekend.  After I explained my dishwasher problem to him he casually bent down to begin mechanical CPR on this pathetic unit. As he was working he said to me, "So you're an artist".  Now I was more than a little fascinated because, well, I don't wear a name tag that reads Kathryn Ramos-Artist. My dishwasher is not in my studio. Most of my art is sold to buyers far away from the area of California where I live. I was thinking that maybe he was gifted with some kind of psychic ability that allowed him to know all and see all (especially good for my sick washer).

I'm sure he could see my amazement as he said, " your hands, your clothes". So of course, as usual, I forget how much I neglect my appearance when I'm working. My hands had splotches and smears of paint and just like every article of clothing I own.....there were paint splatters here and there and you know, everywhere. This wasn't even the most interesting part. He said his dad was an artist and he could recognize one, even without the paint evidence. We talked a bit as he worked and he shared some things about his dad and his dad's paintings and the life he had growing up with a professional, somewhat eccentric artist.  He casually used his dad's name and this is where I did the "NO WAY!" moment. Not only did I know of his dad's work but most of the art savvy US population probably did as well!  He shared a little more as he did his mechanically artistic work on my dishwasher and brought her back to rip roarin' life. And yes, like a starstruck fan I had to tell him that our conversation was probably the highlight of any artsy conversation I have ever had.

This is where it got a little uncomfortable for him. He asked me to keep our conversation to myself as his life choices were a source of contention within their family.....I did the the yada yada yada thing in my head because I totally got it. No explanation necessary.  But I have to say that my dishwasher repairman may be the closest I will ever get to an art superstar :)

New work on line this week. My favorite (today) is an ACEO card titled "Strong Woman" :
The words on the side read-
"I know what I bring to the table...so trust me when I say I'm not afraid to eat alone."  Hopefully most people will understand that quote and understand why it is so important. If you know who said it first, I would love to know and give them their due credit.


Quote of the Day: "None of us want to be in calm waters all our lives". ~ Jane Austen

Song of the Day: "We're Not Gonna Take It" ~ Dee Snider









No comments: