Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Faces, Bodies....


This summer has been difficult. In a lifetime there are events that change the course of your life or at least change the way you perceive life. Death is one of those life altering moments when you look at everything differently. A kid that I considered a son, only 19, died in a motorcycle accident two weeks ago. He loved my daughter in a way that most would consider the love of a lifetime. Brandon was a rare kind of great and rather than focus on how sad I have felt, I have pushed myself to paint the sadness away....

For the last few months I have not been selling paintings (gasp!) but instead, working on a collection of faces, bodies.... I'm still "playing" with colors and textures and ideas. And that is what we do as artists, we play. If we don't, we become stagnant, locked in a pattern that may not be a pattern of growth. It is a double edged sword sometimes as one goal of the the artist is to have work that is easily recognizable. But what happens when it is recognizable (that's good) but it also has an algorithm or formula that no longer excites the artist?

Quote of the day: "I've never been lonely. I like myself. I'm the best form of entertainment I have." ~ Charles Bukowski

Song of the Day: "I'll Take You There" ~ Staple Singers







'

No comments: